- Areas and projects
Ecological improvement of the Molí de la Sal pond in Malgrat de Mar and its surroundings
START: SEPTEMBER 2020
FINAL: JUNE 2021
- Ecological improvement of the Molí de la Sal plot
- Eradication of American cane.
- Empowerment of native vegetation
- Enhance the presence of wildlife.
- Construction of a dry stone wall on one of the perimeters of the plot
- Dissemination of the natural values of the space to the population and local entities
- Collaborate with schools during development, involving them in eradication and planting activities.
- Use the social networks of the Emys Foundation, the City Council and the Naturalist organization to disseminate the process and results of the project.
- Establish a solid foundation to continue the project
- Coordinate the three collaborating entities in order to give continuity to the project, always looking for new ways of action with the aim of the ecological improvement of the space.
TOTAL BUDGET OF THE PROJECT: 12.496,35€
- FUNDACIÓ ILURO
- AJUNTAMENT DE MALGRAT DE MAR
- NATURALISTES DEL MONTNEGRE I LA TORDERA
- Grup Ciència Ciutadana Malgrat de Mar
- INS Ramon Turró i Darder
The area known as Molí de la Sal or Molí d’en Valeri, is located in the municipality of Malgrat de Mar (Maresme, province of Barcelona). It is a municipally owned plot that includes an old three-storey mill building and a plot with a pond, which collects water from the Font dels Capellans mine, and a well. The pond is of high ecological interest, as it is located on the perimeter of a small agricultural and forestry area, and has remained relatively intact for at least a decade. However, due to the weather and little use, much of the perimeter of the pond is dominated by a very dense carpet of American cane (Arundo donax). In addition, the ancient terraced morphology has been markedly denatured by erosion.
In this context, the Emys Foundation has requested a project from Bankia and the Iluro Foundation with three objectives:
- Improving the biodiversity of the Molí plot
- Disseminate the natural values of the space to the population and to local entities
- Establish a solid foundation to continue the project.
To achieve these objectives, we will work on five lines of action, which will consist of the eradication of American cane on the plot, the planting of native vegetation (reed dominated by Phragmites australis), boga (Typha angustifolia) and lily (Iris pseudacorus) associated with wetlands around the pond, recovery of the terraced morphology by means of a backhoe (while facilitating the entry and exit of wildlife into the pond) and, all transversely, will collaborate with the local entities to execute the project.
- Recovery of the terraced morphology of the plot.
- Plantation of native forest vegetation such as: mastic (Pistacia lentiscus), ruda (Ruta sp.), Thyme (Thymus vulgaris), rosemary (Salvia rosmarinus), catfish (Ulex parviflorus), fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), asparagus (Asparagus acutifolius) borrera steppe (Cistus salvifolius), among others, with the schoolchildren of the municipality.
- Eradication of American cane (Arundo donax).
- Construction of a dry stone wall with schoolchildren from the municipality.
- Characterization of the biodiversity of the plot through phototrapping and regular observation. Installation of two nest boxes for birds and one for bats.
With the support and collaboration:
You may also be interested in:
Conservation and recovery project of the wetlands of the Plana de la Selva [FINISHED]
Improvement of the aquatic habitats of Sils Lake
Introduction of raptors to the castell and workshops associated in Hostalric
Maintenance project for the Cal Pep and Cal Menescal ponds in Maçanet de la Selva
Project for the recovery of the old ponds in the area of Les Pinedes in Hostalric
Project of conservation and improvement of the European pond tortule habitat (Emys Orbicularis)
Recovery of the pond and mowing meadow of the Cal Segador property
Vegetation restoration project in the Santa Coloma de Farners stream
Subscribe to the Emys Foundation newsletter