- Areas and projects
- All projects>
- Introduction of raptors to the castell and workshops associated in Hostalric
Introduction of raptors to the castell and workshops associated in Hostalric
START: April 2021
FINAL: December 2021
- Introduction of raptors to the castle
- Creating a raptor workshop
- Workshops by school and institute
- TOTAL BADGET OF THE PROJECT: 3185,53€
- AJUNTAMENT D’HOSTALRIC
- TORREFERRUSSA FAUNA RECOVERY CENTER
- DEPARTMENT OF CLIMATE ACTION, AGRICULTURE AND RURAL AGENDA
- OUR LADY SCHOOL OF HELP
- VESCOMTAT DE CABRERA PUBLIC INSTITUTE
The town of Hostalric has an interesting historical and architectural heritage that has been preserved intact over the years. One of these elements is the castle, which forms a fortification of vertical walls and restricted access areas ideal for birds of prey in urban areas and open areas.
For this reason, the city council, together with the Emys Foundation, opted for the creation of nest boxes to encourage these birds, specifically two were built for common kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) and one for owl (Tyto alba). In addition, the Generalitat de Torreferrussa Wildlife Recovery Center was contacted to obtain 5 kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) chicks that were fed artificially during the first month of life in order to ensure their establishment.
Procedure known as hacking. IP cameras were also purchased to track occupants inside the four boxes. In addition, a workshop was designed in parallel with the aim of getting children and young people to know the project and learn the general characteristics of birds of prey.
- Creation of the activity of birds of prey.
- Establishment of common kestrel in the castle.
- Carrying out a workshop on birds of prey for different ages (children, primary and secondary) at the school and institute in the municipality. This included a dossier of the activity and field material for the activity.
- Awareness of 276 students, from P4 to 1st of ESO.
Amb el suport i la col·laboració de:
Torreferrussa Wildlife Center
Torreferrussa captive recovery and breeding center
You may also be interested in:
Subscribe to the Emys Foundation newsletter
Carretera Santa Coloma, km 21.1 17421 Riudarenes, Girona (Espanya)
Tel. 972 16 49 57
info at fundacioemys dot org