- Areas and projects
- All projects>
- Project for the recovery of the old ponds in the area of Les Pinedes in Hostalric
Project for the recovery of the old ponds in the area of Les Pinedes in Hostalric
START: MARCH 2021
FINAL: OCTOBER 2021
- Improving the ecological quality of the small wetlands associated with the Arbúcies stream:
- General regeneration of temporary pond habitat and riparian vegetation.
- Recovery of herpetofauna.
- Awareness of the local population.
- TOTAL BUDGET OF THE PROJECT: 11.659,37€
- DIPUTACIÓ DE GIRONA
- AJUNTAMENT D’HOSTALRIC
- AJUNTAMENT D’HOSTALRIC
- DEPARTAMENT D’ACCIÓ CLIMÀTICA
In the municipality of Hostalric there were some old ponds, called the ponds of "Les Pinedes", which had been lost due to the constant accumulation of waste due to their use as a walking area, the colonization of American cane and sediment accumulation.
La Fundació Emys, thanks to a grant awarded by the Girona Provincial Council to the town council, has carried out a project to improve the ecological quality of this space, considered a habitat of priority community interest, which consists of three objectives ( i) the general regeneration of the habitat of the temporary pools and the riparian vegetation, (ii) the recovery of the herpetofauna and (iii) the sensitization of the local population. To achieve these objectives, work has been carried out on nine lines of action, which consist of monitoring the herpetofauna present, clearing and deepening the ponds, revegetation with helophytes and distribution of logs, leaves and stones to generate microhabitats. the creation of piles of dead wood to favor wildlife, the eradication of exotic species, the removal of waste, the planting of riparian forest, the installation of stakes and rope and the planting of native plant species with spikes to control access to the recovered ponds and the placement of two informative posters.
- Monitoring before the start of the sediment removal actions to check that there is no aquatic fauna and another once the improvement actions have been completed to validate their effectiveness.
- Recovery of old ponds
- Eradication of exotic species on the isolated plumage of the pampas (Cortaderia selloana) and the American cane (Arundo donax) in the area of the ponds.
- Creation of piles of dead wood to benefit wildlife.
- Disposal of rubbish and waste.
- Recovery of the riparian forest on the banks of the Arbúcies stream with willows (Salix alba) and poplars (Populus alba).
- Regulation of access to recovered ponds through the installation of stakes and rope and the planting of blackberry (Rubus ulmifolius) or blackthorn (Prunus spinosa).
- Signage installation.
With the support and collaboration of:
You may also be interested in:
Ecological improvement of the Molí de la Sal pond in Malgrat de Mar and its surroundings
Introduction of raptors to the castell and workshops associated in Hostalric
Project of conservation and improvement of the European pond tortule habitat (Emys Orbicularis)
Renaturalization plan for the municipality of Hostalric
Subscribe to the Emys Foundation newsletter
Carretera Santa Coloma, km 21.1 17421 Riudarenes, Girona (Espanya)
Tel. 972 16 49 57
info at fundacioemys dot org