- Areas and projects
Suport on the public use management in the ponds of Girona province
START: JULY 2022
END: OCTOBER 2022
- Train and advise environmental guards placed in the various overcrowded natural areas in their task: informing on regulations and best practices in wild areas, incident management and data collection.
- Advising on the implementation of the proposed actions in public-use plans, in those municipalities that have them.
- Systematize the data collection and analysis about the state of the natural area and incidents, as well as the visitors perception.
- Diputació de Girona
Since the end of confinement caused by the Covid-19 pandemic in the summer of 2020, several river pond in the province of Girona have detected the problem of overfrequency. Overcrowdinf of river spaces during the summer months has serious impacts on the state of conservation of the natural area.
Some of these sites contain habitats of priority interest and protected fauna and flora species, and the impact that the lack of regulation generates on the ecosystem (litter, noise pollution, erosion, water eutrophication, invasive species ...) results in the displacement or disappearance of the most fragile species and the consequent loss of wealth and biodiversity.
In order to homogenise the management of public use in all the spaces that share this problem in the Province of Girona, we have coordinated the management of the overcrowding in 13 different spaces:
- Ribes baixes del riu Ter
- Canet d'Adri
- Sant Llorenç de la Muga
- Santa Pau
- Beget (Camprodon)
- Vall d'en Bas
- Sales de Llierca
- Vall de Bianya
- Riu Brugent (Planes d'Hostoles i Sant Feliu de Pallerols)
The purpose of this project is to coordinate environmental informants, in those areas where they exist, advise them on their information and data collection task, as well as on the management and notification of incidents, and advise municipalities that have a public use plan in their implementation.
- Advise municipalities that are part of the project: support and accompaniment for the homogenization of overfrequency management at county and provincial level (contact with city councils and environmental guards, diputació de Girona and other strategic stakeholders)
- Follow-up of the implementation of public use plans: in those municipalities that have a public use plan, they are advised to implement the proposed actions in the planning.
- Advising environmental guard: they are faced with complex situations and need for response support in case of incidents, as well as setting patterns of information and surveillance staff work.
- Survey design for visitors and data management: design of surveys conducted for visitors to know their perception of the management and state of the natural area.
- Global and municipal reports: presentation of the data collected in each of the municipalities and detected incidences. Monthly reports (one about the general state of the projecte and one for each of the municipalities) are made as well as a reports at the end of the season.
- Visiting the environmental areas on site: Visits to the environmental guards in their work areas to be able to accompanie and advise them on their task and gather the information about incidents or requests, to improve the management of public use in the area.
With the participation and collaboration of:
Subscribe to the Emys Foundation newsletter